All the questions we get asked a lot answered in one place, as well as additional information about us and our services.
« back to overview
What is a PTR / Vanity Host?
When you use our service, all connections you make to IRC networks will come from a ZNCHost IP address, it'll usually carry your ZNCHost service name as a PTR / Vanity Host, appearing as "yourservice.znchost.com", so if you join a channel it'll look something like this:
* Nickname ([email protected]) joined the channel
In case your subscribed ZNCHost plan supports it, you can freely chose a PTR / Vanity Host of your liking in your ZNCHost dashboard. The only requirement here is, that you have control over the domain and can setup a A-record in the DNS servers of this domain.
For example: If you you want your PTR to be "works.for.business.com", you need to be able to have access to the domain of "business.com" and have the ability to add a A-record in their DNS servers to make "works.for.business.com" point to our service.
Please note that this is purely cosmetic and has no effect on the service itself or it's functionality. Please only use and/or change this if you know what you're doing, please contact our support if you have any questions about this.
Other Articles in Service (ZNC)
- How can I connect to a custom IRC network?
- How do I add/edit/delete networks in my ZNC account?
- How do I change my ZNC password?
- How do I change/setup my Vanity Host / PTR?
- How do I connect to ZNC?
- How do I connect using The Lounge / Webchat?
- How do I load and unload ZNC modules?
- I cannot find my network in the list. What can I do?
- What is The Lounge / Webchat?
- What is ZNC?
- What ZNC modules are available?
Need help with something?
Please check out our knowledgebase for the most common topics and feel free to contact our support anytime!